I live with a man who is a crazy foodie who is responsible for my growing waistline. Everyone deserves good food so yesterday I decided to try tweet a few of his amazing dishes in 140 characters and got a response!
Ok, I’m always up for any charity so here’s my contribution to MSF. Please let feel free to retweet, modify and try
Pete’s recipes from Kenya to the world
- Pete’s Pasta: gr8 5 Zucchini fry w/ 1 chopd onion 2pc garlic sqeeze lemon salt olive oil. Add to cooked spagetti and gr8 cheese #BonApetweet
- Super scramble eggs for 2: whisk 4eggs with 1/2 cup milk, mix with 1fried onion. Add 1tbsp chopd parsley, 1 cup gr8d cheese, cook v slow #BonApetweet
- Gr8 chilli sauce recipe. Char 2cups chillis, fry 5pc garlic add 2cups chopd fresh coriander tsp salt 1cup vinegar boil 5 mins #BonAppetweet
- Am on my third delicious pancake ala @petergreste filled with sweet chunky hot mango pancake sauce #BonAppetweet #breakfast
- Cleansing ginger honey tea: Gr8 2tbsp ginger add ½ cup lemon jce 3 tbsp honey 2 cups boiling water Cover 5 mins Sip hot/cold. #BonAppetweet
- Delicious smokey red peppers: Char red peppers on coals or grill, remove skins, add squeeze lemon juice, olive oil and salt. #BonAppetweet
- bbq winners: put red peppers on coals til black all over , remove skins, add squeeze lemon juice, olive oil and salt. #BonAppetweet
- Pete’s dreamy ice cream: add 2 tbs good rum & drzl honey or maple syrup on 2 scoops fresh vanilla ice cream #BonAppetweet
- Spicy cabbage – lightly Stir fry 2 cups chpped cabbage add ½ cup apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp sugar, 1 chopped chilli salt. Enjoy hot. #BonAppetweet
- Cabbage salad – thinly slice 2 cups cold hard cabbage add juice 1 lemon, 1tbsp xtra virgin olive oil, salt. Eat immediately. #BonAppetweet
- Smokey Guacamole: char 2 chillis under grill – remove skin & chop add 2 tbsp finely chopd onion, 1 bnch chopd coriander, sqeeze 1lemon & salt. Yum dup 4 fresh carrot!
- Amazing Avocado salad. Finely Chop 2 pc Garlic w salt & juice 1 lemon. Add to coarsely chopped avocado & chill for 3 hrs.
- Avocado sandwich – add avocado slices, slices cheddar cheese, tomato, squeeze lemon juice, salt, pepper between buttered toast. Heaven!
- perfect potatoes – wrap each med sized potato in foil & bury in coals for 20 mins. Allow no flames. Serve w butter. #bonAppetweet
- recipe: Scoop out roasted sweet potato mix w chopd feta, olive oil, cumin seed, chopd chili put in s/potato skins foilwrap re-heat in coals less than 5 seconds ago
- This one is from @blm849
try the scrambled eggs with marjoram sometime….it goes well with cheese and eggs.
- Grill slices of tomatoes on toast with salt pepper & fresh thyme & strong cheddar til cheese is bubbling and going brown. Eat v hot #bonAppetweet
I’m in heaven wearing my new T-shirt from Fluid-Tees
Thanks @fluidtees – @egichomo bet you didn’t know you were making dogtease when I ordered the T-shirts
This T-shirt was delivered 3 hours after ordered through @egichomo in Nairobi. Amazing people! Thank you guys! Pluto is well ready for the World Cup! GOOOO AAAFFFRIIIICAAAAAAA!!!!
Yesterday I made commitments to 7 actions that I think will help raise awareness about Violence Against Women.
My first commitment was to reach 100 people through my networks. Well at least 70 people read my blog yesterday alone and several people commented on my tweets and Facebook and took my Gender Violence poll so I’m happy with progress on that target.
I also committed to getting 5 friends to write about Gender Violence.
Yesterday alone two people responded and I’d like to share the highlights of these blogs
Linda Raftree of Plan International, writes a blog called Wait …Wait which is all about “people I meet through that work and things I wonder about related to both”. She aimst o incorporate social media and new technology into youth development programs in Africa so that youth have more of a voice and so that new media/new technology. Her goal is to improve the conditions in the communities.
“In the community over the past 3 weeks, I saw and heard about the challenges girls face to achieve an education, avoid unwanted advances, including from teachers, and avoid early pregnancies. Most of the time there is no space for these issues to be discussed openly among both boys and girls, and with adults. Plan’s two campaigns, Learn without Fear and Because I am a Girl, seem extremely relevant to the context”.
I love this image of girl power in Mozambique. Makes me smile. Follow Linda’s amazing stories on twitter @meowtree
17 year old boy takes action on Violence Against Women
The second blog on gender violence was written than none other than my 17 year old son who really surprises me from time to time.
Writing as rovingrastaman Joshuas posts can be totally unpredictable. He has recently been debating what gifts to buy his little sister for her birthday and seems to spends an unusually long amount of time thinking about it (for a boy) and seems to be willing to spend an extortionate amount of money on her.
I am proud that at 17 Josh is thinking about the issues, and writing about them – in his blog he says
I conclude that key to stopping violence against women is to raise good men – it’s a task us women should take upon ourselves.
Recognizing Good Men
Finally I also made a commitment to recognize good men so today I’ll be sending shout outs on Twitter to the following amazing men to recognize for their views and influence. You are all men who others should look up to.
@kahenya (I know you pretend to be a macho heartless womanizer – but deep down ur a total softie)
My list is incomplete without my own best friend @petergreste who at times seems too perfect that he may in fact be an alien. He detests the thought that I might think him sickly sweet but I can assure you that he’s not, I don’t have a sweet tooth. His work in war torn Eastern Congo filming victims of sexual violence for BBC revealed a rare courage – to witness, to feel and empathize, and to still be professional about bringing this important story to the world. If men understood the impact of lasting damage of violence against women – on themselves, on brain wastage, on the economy and on their own happiness, we would be closer to ending violence against women.
To get a white ribbon on your Twitter avatar just go here
Do you have a White Ribbon story about Gender Violence to tell? Send it to me and I’ll post it right here.
- carbon emissions
- carbon footprint
- Climate change
- Gay Bill
- gender violence
- green house gases
- spouse abuse
- Wildebeest migration